Have you got your USI number? Unique Student Identifier initiative comes into effect from 1 January 2015
From 1 January 2015, if you are undertaking nationally recognised training delivered by LMIT or any registered training organisation, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). A USI gives you access to your online USI account which is made up of ten numbers and letters. It will look something like this: 3AW88YH9U5.
A USI account will contain all your nationally recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your private USI account in 2016. Ensure your USI number is in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment.
When applying for a job or enrolling in further study, you will often need to provide your training records and results. One of the main benefits of the USI is that you will have easy access to your training records and results throughout your life.
Do you need a USI?
You will need a USI when you enrol or re-enrol in training from 1 January 2015 if you are a:
- student enrolling in nationally recognised training for the first time, for example if you are studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course
- school student completing nationally recognised training
- student continuing with nationally recognised training.
You are a continuing student if you are a student who has already started your course in a previous year (and not yet completed it) and will continue studying after 1 January 2015.
Once you create your USI you will need to give your USI to each training organisation you study with so your training outcomes can be linked and you will be able to:
- view and update your details in your USI account
- give your training organisation permission to view and/or update your USI account
- give your training organisation view access to your transcript
- control access to your transcript; and view online and download your training records and results in the form of a transcript which will help you with job applications and enrolment in further training.
If you’re not sure if you need a USI or have a question, please feel free to contact our Student Support Officer, Jessica Hannaway, on 1800 819 651 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are an international, overseas or an offshore student please visit usi.gov.au for more information
Published by: LMIT